Saturday, June 16, 2007

The devil you know.

As I've said, this whole FRG thing is not second nature to me. It's work. And like most work, it took some time to get up to enough speed where I was actually somewhat decent at the job.

Really, what it came down to, is that I had to learn the rules of the game. Like how if you want to alert the Commander's wife to an issue, it's always better to hint at the problem before coming right out with it. Like how it's imperative to find someone after the weekly Women of the Chapel meeting to hear what was discussed since so many key battalion leaders' wives are members. How you need to know that Mrs. X is totally great at organizing events but not so great a running them. At functions, you must always make sure that Wife A, who believes that Wife B shamelessly flirts with her husband, is never left alone in a room with that sordid hussy. And, of course, how it is completely necessary to send Idiotina straight to voicemail when I see her number on the Caller ID.

But now, as I'm headed into a new FRG leader position, I realize that I have none of the experience (or ammunition) to get things done. It's a new unit, a new place and I know no one. I don't have the benefit of my husband waiting for his command there and getting to know the regulars, the means and the methods. Instead, I am the consummate new girl -- which may lend an air of mystery to me for a while but will require some serious hard work once that mystery wears off.

And I find, that even more than hoping that I can fit into this new world from an FRG perspective, that I can find some friends. Will there be any women there that can tolerate a slightly misanthropic, non-religious, admitted Democrat voter with tattoos and an attitude? Will there be anyone there that can make me laugh (in a good way) and have kids that will embrace my kooky little son? Will I be able to make fun of political leaders without getting the stink eye?

I hope so.

Otherwise, it's going to be a real long deployment.



2 comments:

Sarah said...

Ah, the FRG. Good luck.

P.S. I love the name of your blog. When my husband deployed, I had to quick get an instant messenger handle so we could talk. I also chose a little bit of jargon, although I elevated myself greatly above non-essential equipment. I chose "combat multiplier." Heh.

Non-Essential Equipment said...

Combat multiplier rules! But I'd be afraid that it'd give my husband ideas about having more babies.

Thanks for the luck. I worry that I'll need it. =)