Monday, June 11, 2007

Why do we care?


I don't know. But we do. Why? Who knows? I can't even figure out what the hell Paris is famous for with the exception of a sex tape where she looks really bored and a really craptacular single that flopped.

But what I can tell you is that all this coverage of the Paris Hilton thing has made me nostalgic for those happy, go-lucky Anna Nicole Smith days.

And like everyone else, I've been caught up in all the coverage like moth to flame. I turn on the news and there it is. But I don't think it needs the kind of analysis that people want to give it.

It's just this simple. This whole case, because of who she is and what she's done, is under a microscope. And when things are magnified, people tend to overcompensate. And that's exactly what is happening here. People are trying so hard to do what is perceived as "right" that they may be missing the mark a bit.

Now, do I mind that she went back to jail for that full 45 days? No. I have a friend who did 60 days for a similar probation violation. She needs a good dose of reality and spending a couple weeks at her mansion ain't exactly a punishment. Especially when the Ivy delivers.

It will be interesting to see what happens afterwards. A tell-all book deal? Maybe some shocking new allegations of prison sex? Probably not. More likely is that life for Paris will go on much as it always did -- red carpet nipple slips, party shenanigans and days filled with shopping. We really shouldn't expect too much.

No comments: