Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Do you know what's really bothering me?

Bush as good as said that Scooter Libby was guilty. He said that he stood by the conviction. He just felt that the punishment was too harsh.

So if he stands by the conviction, what does that say about the commutation of Libby's sentence? Which may now even be less of a sentence as a judge reevaluates probation. All last night, as I tried to sleep, I wondered about this. I mean, it's one thing if Bush felt that Libby was wrongly convicted or that Libby was a political pawn. I might think he was a bit deluded but at least I can understand that reasoning. But if he stands by the conviction?

I can't think of anything worthwhile behind it. And I hate that.

So for obstructing justice, Mr. Libby will probably only have a $250,000 fine. A fine that he won't even have to pay personally since his friends have donated millions to his defense. Bush said that his life will be forever changed with this conviction. But wouldn't it have been just as changed from working his job as Cheney's aide? I mean, is not practicing law such a downside when he can now tour the country and charge $25K a pop for speeches and executive training seminars?

No comments: