Friday, July 06, 2007

The Moving Gourmet.

In preparation for the move, one thing we have been actively trying to do is eat up all of the food.

(Well, I say, "we," but that's a lie. CPT Dick still hits the market on the way home in hopes of a BBQ-worthy day. It has now rained for almost 10 days straight, and as such, we are adrift in meat).

Of course, eating up all the remainder food ain't easy. We seem to have overbought in the areas of yogurt, Chex cereal, french bread pizzas, stir-fry veggies and frozen smoothie fruit.

And, oh, yeah, all that meat that CPT Dick keeps buying.

The sheer randomness of what is still lying around makes planning meals a bit of a problem-solving exercise. Last night, I managed a mostly edible beef stroganoff substituting plain yogurt for creme fraiche (note to readers: I wouldn't recommend it unless you desperately need to rid yourself of beef and yogurt). But I am at a loss of what to do for tonight. My current plan is to make a beef stew with some of the stir-fry veggies.

And why not just do a beef stir-fry? Well, that would involve having to buy more peanut or sesame oil, which would leak in transport, and rice. So a mish-mash of genre stew it is.

The question is whether or not scraping all of the stuff off of the french bread pizzas to serve as a side with the stew is going too far.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I absolutely hate throwing things away, which means that I tried to take a half-used bottle of sesame oil with us to Germany. Yep, it leaked in the suitcase. Not a good smell for the hotel room.

Butterfly Wife said...

I'll have to remember that: Do not mix beef and yogurt. I think I might remember that one. ;)

Non-Essential Equipment said...

I think yogurt can work for a masala dish but wasn't really potent enough for a stroganoff.

Which reminds me, we still have some yogurt. I wonder if I can make a masala with some left over taco seasoning...