Saturday, July 07, 2007

They never make it easy, do they?

I have to thank the Army. I was really starting to wig out about moving on Monday. But now I'm just annoyed.

I had been informed that our door-to-door move would result in our household goods showing up at our new house on Wednesday. Of course, given that Army agencies never talk to each other, Wednesday was also our final out with Housing at the old place.

Since CPT Dick will be in the field and all of this is falling on me , I wondered what course of action would result in the least amount of angst -- actually trying to reason with Army agencies and reschedule a few appointments or instead finding a way to bend the time/space continuum so I can be in two places at once.

Since I left my chemistry set and old lab coat at my Mom's house, I had to go with the former.

And they did not make it easy. Somehow, someway our door-to-door move is no longer a door-to-door. Why? Who knows. But now, our stuff is scheduled to be stored for a week and then delivered. But, of course, I had to call and harass the Transportation people to figure this out. I was put on hold, accidentally hung up on. Told that I'd receive a call back and never did. So I kept calling. And I'm glad I did considering I might have felt a little dumb sitting at my new place waiting for the movers all day Wednesday and having to pay an extra day of rent out of my own pocket for the old place.

So actually, the Army in its infinite wisdom has done me a favor. And I guess I should be grateful. Except for the fact that just finding this little piece of information out was such a pain in the ass. And now, instead of just throwing some clothes into my car for a couple of days, I have to actually think about what we'll need over a week in a new place.

3 comments:

Butterfly Wife said...

You are just giving me soooooo much to look forward to. Gee thanks!

And good luck with the move. ;)

Non-Essential Equipment said...

You know, for whatever reason, we just have bad PCS juju. In every move, we have had problems.

Of course, moving during this Army transformation in Europe ain't helping things.

Hopefully, you'll fare much better!

Sarah said...

Ah, transportation. That's what I like to call "squeaky wheel" Army fun:
http://blog.mu.nu/cgi/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=49&search=squeaky