Sunday, July 01, 2007

That thing I do.

I received a few emails asking what kind of writer I am, whether my designation of such begins and ends with this blog.

And while I think that blogging may very well be a huge part of the future of non-fiction writing (even bigger than it is already), I am what you call a professional freelance writer. I write articles for magazines, newspapers and websites, as well as write up your more dry corporate reports and newsletters. My articles have appeared in a bunch of stuff you may have even read including American Baby, National Geographic Traveler and the Washington Post.

The writing thing is something I just kind of fell into. The combination of a PCS and a pregnancy made working full-time in my previous field, corporate and government consulting, a bit hard to balance. So at a good friend's suggestion, I tried this. And I'm loving every minute of it.

For those of you who are thinking about a career in writing, too, there are so many great resources out there to learn the ropes. A really good one is written by Allison Winn Scotch, author of the new novel, The Department of Lost and Found, as well as a prolific writer for pretty much every popular magazine you can imagine. Her blog, Ask Allison, is a great way to get all of your writing questions answered.

But be warned. This magazine writing stuff takes a thick skin as well as the ability to gracefully roll with the punches.

Seems like a description that also fits the job of military wife, too.

2 comments:

Lee Anne said...

I've considered freelancing, but at this point, I need to avoid anything that takes me away from my dissertation -- that especially includes more writing. Last semester I taught four sections of freshman English, but it derailed any writing/research.

Maybe next year... I'm glad you have found some line of work. Not having a job makes me a little loopy.

Non-Essential Equipment said...

Yes, it is always best with the dissertation to find ways to keep distractions at bay.

But I'm useless when I'm not doing something that contributes to the GNP. And I really like that I can have the best of both worlds staying at home with my kid and still make a little money of my own.