Thursday, July 05, 2007

Self-help.


Full disclosure: I hate self-help books. I do. I'll admit it. I kind of believe that they are out there on the market just to make us feel bad about ourselves and buy more self-help books.
I have nothing against trying to improve yourself, mind you -- I just don't think Dr. Phil can show you the way to do so in a book written for a general audience.

Salon.com has an interview with Jennifer Niesslein, one of the editors of the brilliant Brain, Child magazine. She's just written a book, "Practically Perfect in Every Way: My Misadventures Through the World of Self-Help and Back." The book is all about her experiment in trying to use self-help books and techniques to improve her life.

In the interview, she admits to having issues with sleepwalking and panic attacks during this time of her life and is asked if the self-help might have influenced these problems. She says this:

"These books say you'll have all this knowledge, you'll be empowered, you'll be the master of your destiny. But the flip side of that is that you become acutely aware of all the burdens that you have, too, and your responsibilities. You're responsible for your financial destiny, and especially according to the folks [I was reading], women are responsible for what's going on in their relationships."

Interesting stuff. I'm definitely putting this one on my list.

2 comments:

Lee Anne said...

Sounds like a fascinating book. It does seem like we're all so hell-bent on improvement that we don't just stop sometimes and appreciate how good our lives are and be proud of the people we've become.

As far as book recs, a friend of mine and her husband have a book review blog featuring a wide variety of books: www.bookreviewsforrealpeople.blogspot.com

Good luck with the move and the new assignment!

Butterfly Wife said...

One of my readers sent me an email saying that one of the things she really liked about me was that I was really into self-help books. That stunned me because I certainly don't think of myself that way. Just a desperate person in a desperate situation who was desperately looking for air to breathe. Maybe self-help books should only be used under the strict supervision of a counselor. LOL.