Monday, July 02, 2007

Dread.

After last week's house hunting debacle, it has now fallen on me to find us a place. And I'm just dreading it.

Mostly because whenever I call the housing office, they tell me to come in to the office. They don't want to help me on the phone. Instead, I need to do a face to face. And that would be fine except (a) I can't make an appointment with them and (b) it's 2.5 hours away. So because they are phone-phobic, I'd be driving 2.5 hours with an uncooperative Munchkin to go sit indefinitely in the Housing waiting room in the hopes that they could make an appointment for me to see some properties later that week.

Can you say, "ummm, no?"

So since I have refused to play the game their way, they are punishing me by making me play the call-back game. I call ahead with the exact properties I want to look at and they tell me, "Can you call back in one half hour?" So I do, and they say, "What is your name again?" I tell them and they say, "Oh, yes, you want to look at House X. Can you call back in one half hour?" And the whole charade plays out once more.

I'm just a total ball of stress. Our move date is in less than a week. It was only confirmed on Friday. I have no idea where we're going to live. I haven't even bothered to print out the pre-move checklist because I know that half the stuff is moot now anyway. I'm flying by the seat of my pants and just hoping that Henslowe is right and the natural condition of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster will all turn out well.

But the mystery here is how I will keep my sanity intact in the meantime.



3 comments:

Butterfly Wife said...

Is this what on-post housing is like???? That might be what we wind up doing. I'd hate to think about driving that far just for nothing. Oh my! Good luck to you. I'll keep checking back on your progress.

Non-Essential Equipment said...

We're in Europe and have an exception to policy to live off-post. So this is just searching for a house close to post.

We finally capitulated and decided to drive to the housing office tomorrow morning. Hopefully, if we are there in person, they'll be a little more helpful.

And if not, at least I'm already there to throw my full-out tantrum right on their desks.

Bette said...

A restless Munchkin in the waiting room might be just the encouragement Housing needs to start hustling on your case.

Best of luck to you -- moving is trying under the best of circumstances, which these are not.