Saturday, August 04, 2007

One More Saturday Night

I read in a potty training book that as you get ready to start training, it helps to leave your kid in a wet diaper (provided they don't suffer from horrible diaper rash or something like that) for longer than you normally would so they can start to feel uncomfortable. I can't say I totally buy that one but I have started letting Munchkin go a little longer in the evenings between changes.

Tonight, just before bed, my son was rockin' a pretty wet diaper. It wasn't hanging down to his knees or anything, but it showed definite heft. But since we were literally minutes away from bath time, I thought, well, we'll just leave it for now. And then, when I saw him hiding behind the couch and grunting, I decided that I'd let him finish up and then we'd do his bath and bedtime routine.

After all, it's never fun to realize that the bath toy your son is getting so much enjoyment out of is actually his own fecal matter. Trust me on this one.

So as he's pooping, the phone rings. It's one of those friends that you can't quite ever get off the phone. And as she gabs and gabs, my son has obviously finished business and is now running amok around the house.

Once I finally manage to hang up, I scoop up Munchkin and head to the changing table. The smell is overwhelming and it is so full that the sides of the diaper are drooping a little bit. I'm figuring I'm in for quite a nasty present.

But, oh no. When I open the diaper, I find nothing. Well, not nothing. There are marks on the diaper showing where the poop was at one point. And certain marks on my son's behind where that poop rubbed against. But the offending party? Not there. The poop has left the diaper.

You know it's going to be a fabulous Saturday night when it starts by a singles game of find the turd.

4 comments:

Marine Wife said...

It's only funny because it happened to you and not me. I'm so sorry!

Bette said...

Oh my. I'm laughing, but with you, not at you. I just hope *you're* laughing by now.

Scully's Moulder said...

You have a knack for bring back some of my own not so fond memories of child rearing. This post actually inspired me to write about one of my own experiences. Aren't kids great?

Non-Essential Equipment said...

In case you were wondering, I found the turd next to the bed in our guest room. I think it was a single but I guess I'll find out as the week goes on if little petrified poops show up as I'm vacuuming.

Thankfully, we have a tile floor.