Tuesday, June 05, 2007

And just like that...

On weekdays, I drop Munchkin off at the Child Development Center (CDC) for an hour or two while I hit the gym. He enjoys hanging out with the other kids and having a whole new room of toys with which to use for his world domination efforts.

Tuesdays are story mornings. When I drop Munchkin off in the morning, we usually get there just in time to see the kids crowded around his teacher, Miss M., on the library mat, as she reads "I Knew an Old Woman who Swallowed a Fly," "The Hungry Caterpillar," and other such perennial favorites.

And every time, I'd put Munchkin down on the rug with his friends and he'd immediately get up and make his way to the trucks, or blocks or any other toy that did not require him to sit still. He just couldn't stomach story time.

Today, however, story time was a little later in the morning, right around the time I came to pick him up to take him home. And when I got to the door of the toddler room, I saw him through the window not only sitting on the library rug but paying attention to the story. He was laughing in all the right places, making "woof" sounds when the teacher did and completely enjoying himself. And as I observed him from outside the door, I realized -- he was listening. He could hear the story and was responding appropriately.

I know that it's early but so far, it seems as if the surgery is doing all that it promised. He's been babbling a lot more, using words more consistently and he helped me to sing the ABC song yesterday. I mean, he just kind of joined in on the eee-sounding letters but, hey, it's more than he's done before.

I'm really excited to see what the next few weeks will bring.

No comments: