Friday, June 08, 2007

Is there anything sweeter?

My son is not a morning person. Hell, he's not even an afternoon person if it is the time immediately after nap time. He's just the kind of kid who needs a little time to handle the change from sleep to waking. And that time usually involves a fair bit of whining and demands for juice. I've gotten used to it.

So I guess it's fair to say that my day starts with some pretty cranky yells.

But this morning, I just heard a quiet, "Mama!" from Munchkin's room. And then, when I dawdled a bit, to see if he was really ready to wake up, it came again louder. "MAMA!"

When I went to his room, expecting him a tirade of cries because I cruelly took a full thirty seconds to get to him, instead I got a boy with arms outstretched, waiting to be picked up. And then, the best part, once I got him into my arms, he gave me a smile and a big "Mmmmm-wah!" kiss on my cheek before finding an empty cup to slam on my arm.

Makes that whole waking up at 6:00am thing totally worthwhile.

No comments: